Odd crashes/drawing corruptions in V11.4-11.9

• May 25, 2018 at 6:48 pm #188863
    Curt Hayos
    Participant

Hi all, I’m trying to diagnose some odd issues. 2020users since V5 or so… We’ve been running 11.4 for at least a year and experienced very few problems.

About a month ago we started having corrupted drawings with 0kb(empty) drawings AND .bak files. One week we lost 5 drawings on 3 different machines. At 2020’s advice, we updated to 11.9 but continued having problems losing 3 more drawings.

So now we are on 11.9 and what we are experiencing is: 1- Open a drawing done in a an older mfg catalog. 2 – Update items automatically and then manually for whatever wouldn’t go. 3 – Save the drawing, and start working. 4 – When you pull the drop down dialog box to select a catalog, the drawing crashes.

4 of the desktops are mid spec I5/SSD/16g/Nvidia that have worked for at least 2 years all day long the last is a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 Tablet with I7/SSD/16g/Integrated that has also been designing and viewing for at least 18 months without a problem. I know it is not hardware, it’s probably not 2020 as it was stable for 12 months so the only thing I can think of is a catalog issue.

This year our mfg said they’ve updated their textures for a more realistic look so I’m thinking larger/better textures for added realism which may cause program memory issues. I asked them and they said they only released updated catalogs this year to fix minor pricing and visual problems plus a patch for 10.xx users which wouldn’t apply to us.

On a side note – Should mfg’s be installing catalogs under the DFM directory? (See file) I only remember seeing this the last 6 months or so from both of our mfg’s at one time or another as it brings up the overwrite warning window.

Looking for some troubleshooting ideas if anyone has any

Thanks, Curt

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • May 25, 2018 at 7:03 pm #188873
    Ken Watkins
    Participant

since this started recently, have you considered a conflict caused by an update to the operating system?  I just received a notice from another software vendor that the April auto updates to Win 10 are causing user issues with their software.

• May 25, 2018 at 7:46 pm #188874
    Curt Hayos
    Participant

Windows 10’s latest update is the worst windows update I’ve seen in years but all of this happened before the latest W10 or 2020 V11 updates. As it happens, support did a remote access into one of our machines and initiated the process before we could stop them so I’m positive it was before the latest one anyway.

• May 25, 2018 at 8:37 pm #188875
    Ken Watkins
    Participant

Ok, good.  The only other (easy to overlook) thing I can think of is in the procedure you outlined. After you update the items and save the drawing, close the file to clear the caches and any  other stray info in the file and then reopen before making any changes to the design…

• May 29, 2018 at 5:12 pm #189126
    Neil Wilson

Hi Curt,

If it’s happening on multiple machines it is more likely that the issue is design related.  The first thing to try would be to run through steps 1 to 3 and then do a copy/paste of the design into a new file.  Save the file and then see if you can access the drag and drop list.

As for the catalogs installing in the DFM folder, that’s normal for catalogs created in the DFM format.

Neil

• May 29, 2018 at 5:52 pm #189127
    Curt Hayos
    Participant

Hi Neil, for the empty designs, I meant multiple designs on multiple machines by multiple designers. The drag and drop has only been one person so far. We’ll try the catalog switch then cut and paste and see if that works. Thankfully the issues have reduced in volume, if not loudness, in the last week so maybe we’re out of the woods.

Thanks for the DFM info. It was something different I started seeing in the last year or so and wanted to make sure it wasn’t the problem.

Thank you,

Curt

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.